Thursday 19 May 2011

October 2005- Goodbye Philippines

I left behind my family, my 2 year-old nephew that I helped raised on the afternoon of October 26, 2005. My close relatives and my family said goodbye to me . I boarded on a ship going to Cebu. I arrived the next morning and had my flight re-booked at the Northwest Airlines office in Cebu City. I had to pay a re-booking fee for $75 so I can fly the next available flight from Manila-Detroit the next morning. I left Cebu to Manila on the night of Oct. 27 boarding Philippine Airlines. Arrived at Manila Domestic Airport by midnight and had to rode a shuttle bus going to the International Airport. My flight going to the United States was not until 6:30am on Oct 28., so I waited for around 5 hrs at the airport.
Oct 28, 2005 was my Port of Entry date at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport. Customs security, interviewed me, checked all my luggage, interrogated me, and even threatened me that they can sent me back home right away if they would find out that I lied to them. But, you know the truth will really set a person free. After 2 hrs of interrogation and harassment  I was able to get out. Outside at airport waiting area, there my fiance was waiting for me. He told me 2 custom guys approached him and asked few questions, which was really unusual. They told him that someone called their office and told them that we were married back in the Philippines which was'nt true. Because if we were married we would go for spouse visa not fiance visa. Anyway, he told them that were were never married and we are planning to get married before my K1 visa expires. We had no idea who called and gave them the wrong information which was the reason of my long wait at the customs office.

No comments:

Post a Comment