Friday 20 May 2011

Visit to Social Security Administration

By the time we got our Marriage license/certificate in the mail,we went to the Social Security Administrations office to apply for SSN#. Since I was already married I used my married name for my SSN. Some people do it the other way where by the time they get here they get their SSN # first before they get married and have it changed on their married name after they get married. Which is for me is to much work is a lot of hassle. Because some States are different. As K1 visa holder, we can only apply within 75 days of arrival or after EAD or greencard is received. In my case, since I got married right away I was able to apply for SSN within 75 days period.

I handed the lady my passport, birth certificate and. marriage license. She made a copy of all of them and returned all original documents. And, in less than 2 weeks I got my SSN card in the mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment